Saturday, February 22, 2020

~I'm Signing Off~

My Dad died one week ago today. I'm still in disbelief. He signed off and left this world on Saturday, February 15 in the evening. Boarded the plane, taxied the runway and lifted off.

We had just seen him that afternoon. Spent about an hour and half with him looking at photos, sharing memories and visiting with his room mate who came in.  Sat with him during lunch, we left when he was eating his fruit cup. Said our usual good-bye. Kissed him on his hat, said "I love, I call next week and send a note."  My husband walked over to say good-bye. My Dad reached to shake his hand. A good firm handshake. Something he hadn't done in a long time. Later my husband said this good-bye felt different, something was going on. Went to lunch at McDonald's, and headed back home. We live an hour away.  I come home in good cheer, I was not emotionally drained.  It was a great visit!

Around 7 pm my brother called, my husband answered the phone.

"Phillip, I'll keep this short. I'm on my way to River Valley. Dad just passed away. He was having some pain, they gave him Tylenol. He didn't eat dinner. He was having trouble breathing. They gave him oxygen. No pulse was found."

I lost it. I was a blubbering idiot. I just saw him. It couldn't be true.
I couldn't absorb the shock of the news. I was in shock. I talked briefly to my brother. My husband shot into action. Called his boss, told me to call my boss. I paced. Grabbed husband wine, shot down a couple of swigs. Finally sat down.

"Call your boss, he said.

"I just want to sit here with my grief." It really was shock. I did not believe the news. I was waiting for my brother to call from the Care Center. I wanted confirmation that he in fact had died.

He finally called and it was true. Daddy had died.

After several calls and texting my niece we got in touch with my sister. When she heard her husband phone ringing, she knew what it was.

I called my BFF. Left a message for my boss. Rambled on about what happened.  Made coffee and waited up for our son to come from work. I was on the phone, come running out to tell him when he walked in the door. My husband told him before I got out to the living room. I wanted to tell him. He immediately hugged me.
We told him everything.

I finally went to bed. Sleep alluded me to for a long time. I started posting pictures on our Porter Family and Friend page on Facebook. I did not announce anything until Sunday night.  Finally slept a few hours.

LynetteJoy


No comments:

~Stop the World, I want Off~

My personal feeling at this point the pandemic is the crisis is over or close to it. At least where I live. Time to get back to normal, not ...