My son thinks I am on a perpetual vacation because I work for my church. Generally I go into work on Tuesdays & Wednesdays, but do much of the work from home. Last week J was home on Monday (mental day off from school), then on Thursday, Friday & again Monday because of illness. The first Monday he was off & complaining that I get to be home all the time, I got wise & showed him my to do list (for church & home) & asked him if he thought it was for 1 month or 1 week (it was rather long). He said 1 month. When I told him it was for 1 week his eyes bugged out. I think he knows that I am not on a perpetual vacation, but I am lucky I get to work from home. He is right, I am lucky, more like blessed to work from home.
The last two weeks my to do list has been rather long. I have to write things down lest 1. I forgot about something or 2. I lie awake at night going over it in my head.
Over at Fruitful Words, Susan gave us tips for phone messages. I thought I would share my tips on "to do lists". Like Susan I had list everywhere, on the fridge, in my purse, in my work binder, but none on the dog, she would eat it anyway.
Susan got me started with a binder.
1. Last year Susan help me get organized by suggesting a binder for Children's Ministries. I used to be very organized, but something happened to my brain either after having ds or turning 40.
The binder is organized by departments, Nursery, Preschool, Sunday School,Kid's Church, Pioneer Club, Visitors, Special Event & Office. When ideas,concerns, questions, needs or task come up, I jot them down in the proper section. This has help tremendously.
2.I then took it a step further this year. At the beginning of each week, usually on Sunday evening or Monday morning. I go through each section & check what needs to be done.I also check my home calender & put that on the list.If any one section has a long list, they are put in A,B, C, order A being the most important. I then type up my "to do list." It looks something like this.
Week of February 4, 2007
Tasks:
Finalize Schedule
Add new teachers to master list.
Video ideas
E-Mail/Phone Calls:
Bulletin Notices
Confirm Helper Get Together (Wed)
E-mail team for next meeting date
Meetings/Appointments:
Staff-Tuesdays
Meet with A on Wed at noon
Home:
Pick up vacuum
Buy floor cleaner
Leftovers:(not everything gets done)
Table/storage for Preschool
Clean file cabinet
Laminate signs & hung (this one has been hanging around for a couple of weeks)
That is a very short list, but you get the idea.
3. Since the last 2 weeks have been very busy, each day I would check my list & pull off what I felt could be done on that day. It worked very well. I also learned which task take longer than others. The Attendance Binders 2-3 hours once a month, so I know now not to add to many larger task when I am updating binders. I also learned on Tuesdays-staff days, to keep my task simple. Staff takes up the morning & I have a short time after lunch to do a couple of things before picking up j
The benefit is I have everything in one place. I keep a calender (mine & the church's)in my binder, church directory, CM Teacher schedules & the list all nice & neat in the binder. I even have Tips from Volunteer Group Central in the back.
I use to use the computer to keep track of stuff. The binder method has work much better & has became my side kick. It is big, purple & easy to find. I have used it so much I noticed the edges are starting to rip. The picture on the front is my alter-ego, blonde, powerful & purple.(Susan gave me the card, her daughter drew the picture).
On Sunday's I do not bring it with me. When I meet new people, I write their names on my bulletin (usually on the sermon notes). If someone has a question or needs something done, I write it down also. Once home I transfer my little notes into my binder. Most of my teachers now to e-mail me, call me or use the communication slip I have for them. They are all very gracious & understand on Sunday if I am told something verbally, I may forget within an hour. I return the favor by taking care of CM business during the week. Sunday's are for being there for my teachers. Things do come up & I do take care of those needs.
My goals have been get the stuff out of my head & onto paper & to not work on Children's Ministries task when J is home. My work day is when he is in school. Except for Wednesday nights-Pioneer Club night. I oversee the childcare for the little ones. So far this has been working pretty well.
Any other ideas out there for keeping track of work, home, school (kid), car, myself?
1 comment:
I always used lists, notebooks and card files to organize my info for protocols, procedures and triage when I worked in peds. But since I have had children I seem to live in a constant state of chaos. It takes a toll after awhile and I am working hard to try and climb out of that. I am following the example I have seen on some of hte Christian homemaking blogs and I am starting a homemaking notebook for lists, information, schedules and calendars. Of course I started this six months ago, but then I had a lot of unplanned things happen, so I fell behind, this reminds me I need to get back to that. Love your alter ego! :o) I'm glad you use a "paper brain"! I hope we will all be healthy by Sunday
Post a Comment