Friday, March 20, 2020

~ Shelter-in-Place Day 1~

SIP has started, the first four days of this week was a strongly suggested SIP and for anyone 65 and over or with underlying health issues were asked to self-quarantined last Sunday. The legal mandate for everyone began at midnight.

I went for two long walks, wandering through the streets that wind through the town homes near my home.  On my morning walk I made a video of the garden park for coworker who is home with her two Grandsons (ages 4 & 5) she is raising. We chatted via texting, getting to know each other a little more. Another coworker brought me a stack of movies to watch on our DVD player. She also bought me a 300 piece jigsaw puzzle and gel pens.  

Good things are happening from this quarantine.  Connecting and building relationships with people I know. Musicians live streaming their music on Facebook. Lots of fun ideas and tips for families. Our schools are shut down, home school Mamas are giving tips for the newly those who found themselves thrown into the home school mode. To keep our wits about us, silly memes and jokes about the SIP.  It is a serious health crisis but humor offsets the stress and worry. Museums are putting up artwork, the metropolitan opera is streaming nightly. Zoos and aquariums are also live streaming as well as churches. An app called Zoom is being used for meetings and social gatherings. Social media, I think is taking a different turn. People helping, connecting and being positive. At least that's what I'm seeing. 

As I walked down a lane and rounded the corner a feeling of peace came over me.  It's taken me all week to accept what is happening and adapt to it. Everyday things changed ( still does with numbers and projections) but once they made the decision to do a mandated SIP I think that helped. "Okay, this is happening...I can accept and adapt." Once a decision is made, accepting and adapting is so much easier. 

Am I scared about getting Coronavirus? Yeah. Am I scared for my family? Yeah. Am I scared how bad this could get? How many could contract it and die? Hell yeah I am. 

But today I intentionally chose to be grateful, to accept and to adapt. 

And that is half the battle.

LynetteJoy










No comments:

~Stop the World, I want Off~

My personal feeling at this point the pandemic is the crisis is over or close to it. At least where I live. Time to get back to normal, not ...