Saturday, January 17, 2015

Marketing, Burlap Bags and Reflecting

What happened to the day? It's already late afternoon and I haven't done much aside from some dishes and throwing on some laundry.  Dislike how quickly the weekends go by....

The plan was and my mind was set to it, was to walk to buy a few groceries using my burlap bag to carry it in and experience the new Flat White coffee at Starbucks. Big grocery I would do on Monday. Just a few things and use what we had in the house. Now a typical Saturday is big shopping which can kill half a morning. I often do the shopping while waiting for husband to pick me up. Along the Light Rail line are places to stop and shop. Husband did some banking online and my check had already been deposited and suggested we do the big shopping. Now my mind was set and often is the case I didn't want to deviate from my plan...my Saturday vision...ideal. Get dressed, grabbed the burlap bag, walk to shopping, finishing up at Starbucks and carrying home our goods in our burlap bag. And I stated all this to husband (he really didn't care one way or the other) and we set out with our burlap bag. Now last Saturday we virtually did the same thing and lugged home 3 plastic bags of goods (for home and school). I was determined this week to 1. save gas and walk (got to work off those darn 1 serving brownies I've been eating), 2. save the environment and use one of the many bags I have, the big burlap one being my favorite and 3. either looked like a middle age couple walking around town with their groceries or a hip middle age couple with their burlap bag strolling to the market stopping for a cup of coffee and strolling back home. What is the difference....none except a burlap bag looks much nicer than 3 bags of plastic bags.

The two of us are more suited to small town living where you can walk anywhere. When we left Burlingame in the early 90's to move to the Sacramento region, it about broke my heart. There we could walk to work (me) , Library, The Avenue, market and garden shop. Loved it.  Where we live now services have come and gone. A nearby shopping center has finally made improvements that now provides convenient shopping.

Although chilly and foggy we set out for our routine Saturday walk to do some marketing. We walk and talk. And felt pleased with ourselves we remember to bring our own bag. After having my haircut, bought our groceries, filled our bag and sauntered over to Starbucks. Not all the groceries fit, husband carried the bag, I lugged the bread.

Okay...Starbucks Flat White Coffee....yeah baby it was good. For two straight coffee drinkers we like it and both said, darn. It's an expensive drink that one could easily became hooked on. I had mine made with soy. A creamy and silky concoction. Soy milk is a required taste, I could not actually taste it...so creamy and frothy.  So good.

We almost always sit at one of the tall tables piling our things on the floor and share a sweet bun with our coffee. And we talk. About work, the kid, the week, church.  Always the same...always good.  I mentioned to husband I have had no school stress (son's) in weeks, actually about 3 months.  None during the week, zero school stress on the weekend.  It's a good feeling. Not to have this stress and not to have it linger over the weekend.  Weekends I am happy and content. Happy with church, happy with son's school.

A year ago I was not happy in regards to church. Now a year later....weekends are different.  

It was a Saturday night, January 18th when I happened on St. Clements website (while looking for another church we had visited years ago) and the following morning January 19, 2014 when we first visited St. Clements. It wasn't until April (Easter Sunday) I made my decision. Interestingly enough, tomorrow January 18 is the annual meeting and voting in the new Vestry.  My husband has expressed interest in one of the openings, there are several openings, more than usual because of circumstances.  I am blessed by what God has done since that very first visit last year. 

Who knew when we first entered the doors of St. Clements last year that one year later we would both be involved in this church. What a plan God had....out of my boredom, loneliness, frustration and discontent....He took all of it and spread His grace upon us and will do the same for you. 

LynetteJoy



No comments:

~Stop the World, I want Off~

My personal feeling at this point the pandemic is the crisis is over or close to it. At least where I live. Time to get back to normal, not ...