Thursday, February 08, 2007

Reading Poetry


J & I have been reading Poetry this week. He has a book we gave him last Christmas 2005. A Treasury of Best-Loved Children's Poetry. One area I strive in is exposing J to the Arts. Poetry, music,including instruments, we have a keyboard & a junior size accordion, plays & art. He is starting a art class at church next week. I want to even more this year.

The last couple of mornings while ds does homework I read poetry, this has help with the stress of doing homework. Plus we broaden our horizons with new words, subjects & poets. The book is broken down into Birds & Beasts, Wind & Weather, Mystery & Magic, Love & Beauty, Laughter & Tears & People & Places. Many are anon., others are well known, William Blake, Robert Louis Stevenson & Christina Rossetti to name a few.

Here are a few of our favorites
Whether the Weather Be Fine

Whether the weather be fine
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold,
Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not.
Anon

I Eat My Peas with Honey (dh remembers this one from his boyhood)

I eat my peas with honey;
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.
Anon

A Cornish Charm

From Ghosties and Ghoulies
And long-leggity Beasties,
And all things that go BUMP
in the night-
Good Lord, deliver us
!
Anon

We also like these, but they are too long to write.
There was a Monkey-anon
The Riddling Knight-anon
Waltzing Matilda-A.B.(Banjo)Paterson 1864-1941
Jabberwocky-Lewis Carroll 1832-1898

Know anymore good books of poetry?

No comments:

~Stop the World, I want Off~

My personal feeling at this point the pandemic is the crisis is over or close to it. At least where I live. Time to get back to normal, not ...