As I sit at my corner table with a cotton tablecloth filled with delicate flowers that is actually a curtain in a sun filled kitchen I am filled with warm lingering memories of sharing Eucharist and coffee hour with folks I have come to love. I am filled with visuals of the Altar draped in white with gold embroidery, red, yellow, white flowers carefully arranged in tall vase with the Cross in the middle, flickering candles, stained glass windows and the Elements waiting to be broken, blessed and given. My hands and heart are warm with passing of the peace. The visual and auditory person I am lingers on the greetings, the laughter, prayers and readings. The first notes coming from the organ as fingers touch keys, feet to pedals, the voices of the choir and the sweet sound of the communion hymn and all other hymns in between. The sermon, the words and what it means to me and what to do with these words today, tomorrow, next week. These are sermons like no other sermons I have ever heard, new to me more or less...maybe not. Seeds within me, deep, taking root. These sermons...good words, truths. And being the auditory person I am...pondering, rolling them around in my head, conversations with husband, eventually pen to paper.
From the moment I enter through those double glass doors into the Sanctuary to the time I exited the glass door to walk through the little covered patio to the fellowship hall I feel loved, welcomed and accepted. If I am having a off morning, it does not take long for those feelings (upset, sad, angry) to
dissolve. This morning I awoke with a two competing feelings. Joy, Sunday...church with husband. The competing feeling....ugh Sunday, weekend half over, Monday is fast approaching and another start to a work week. (I think I have a bit of separation anxiety). But as I go through my routine of breakfast, a good soak in the tub, making the bed and choosing clothes, jewelry, shoes and socks (while listening to usually French music) I slowly come out of it. Today my thoughts wander to each day I prepare my physical self for the day, how am I preparing my Spiritual self? By the time I leave St. Clements and have shared a meal & conversation at tables covered in red/white check vinyl cloths I'm fed both spiritually and physically.
There are some lingering feelings of this day, this Sunday afternoon quickly moving along. But as I write and sit in my kitchen next to laced covered window I spot the time and am relieved it is only 2:24 P.M. I can enter this moment and just be. By watching the dog wander the backyard, hearing the football game on the Television, hear son's voice from other room. I see the sun light on the front door, on the bench in front of me. I see the chicken thawing for tonight's Greek Chicken and the french bread for tonight's meal. I don't need to rush ahead to tomorrow (there are things to gather, to do for tomorrow but in due time), to Monday. In the space of this afternoon I can ponder today's sermon (and past) and how to apply to my family, work....let it sit, to pray, talk it out with the Lord. Jot some things down in my journal.
Yes, Friday's are good, Saturdays even better. But Sunday's....well Sunday's are the best! And on my gratitude list I write:
-the child who drew a picture and when asked, said, "this is the face of God."
-memories of Friday night shopping, husband meeting me and coming home to a warm house.
-taking care of errands on foot, ending with coffee.
-tidying up the garage
-tacos lined up in foil pan to bake.
-St. Clements...it was about a year ago we made our first visit.
-old kitchen table next to laced covered window.
-wine stacked in silver rack.
-blue pottery bowl filled with oranges, mandarins and yellow lemon.
-lessons read, sermon words, prayers offered.
LynetteJoy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
~Stop the World, I want Off~
My personal feeling at this point the pandemic is the crisis is over or close to it. At least where I live. Time to get back to normal, not ...
-
1. This was the first week of Preschool. On the first day we have a Meet and Greet, the children come for an hour with their parents. I...
-
. 1.My little Preschool Class breaks out into song at snacktime. It's so cute! 2."We've been waiting ...
-
1. Every morning we have a flyover. No, not airplanes, a flock of Candadian Geese. I look forward to them every morning. And we I drive...
No comments:
Post a Comment